Steven J. Griffin, Sr.
Visionary Leadership and Expertise in Construction Project Management and Civil Engineering
Accomplished results and detail-oriented Senior Construction Project Professional with nearly 30 years of progressive experience and expert proficiency in Residential, Multifamily, Airport, Schools K-12, Light Rail, Restaurant, Commercial – Industrial and Military Construction, Business Development, and Operations Management.
- Leads overall direction and management of all site operations, ensuring efficient and profitable execution of programs, policies and expectations.
- Effectively implements construction quality assurance / quality control, oversight of diverse projects, ensures projects are built within design specifications, contract requirements and code compliance.
- Establishes and maintains long-term professional working relationships with owners, design professionals, subcontractors and suppliers and participates in marketing, estimating, bidding and contract negotiations with a full knowledge and utilization of Emotional Intelligence (EQ).
- Track Record of successfully driving high monthly production rates (40,000 sf / monthly) on large $51 to $70 million Multifamily projects with high sense of urgency.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Project Estimation & Cost Containment – Estimating
Strong Problem Solving Abilities
Business Development – Sales / Consulting
Document, Quality & Project Controls
Accounting Controls & Financial Analysis – Value Engineering
Budget Development & Administration
Project Management & Process Improvement – Scheduling
Team Building, Mentoring & Leadership
Vendor Relationships & Contract Negotiations
Strategic Planning & Tactical Execution
- Leads large Student Housing Construction and Renovation on multiple projects on Terrace View (Virginia Tech) Blacksburg. Projects consist of major exterior and interior renovations to units and amenities. Provides quality assurance/owner rep services. Plans and develop project documents for general contractor bids, reviews, and selection of contractors. Monitors 3rd party – property management/maintenance staff and multiple contractors for the owner. Plans and prepares for 14-acre demo and reconstruction increasing density with 2 new wrap buildings of 4 stories.
- Led the Corporate Design and Construction activities and worked closely with the owner of a regional, family-owned Tex- Mex Restaurant group in the aggressive roll out to new markets and increasing the number of locations by 4-5 locations each year for the next five years. Developed corporate quality control/quality assurance program, due diligence, recommended and implemented methods and procedures, hired Architects and Design Professionals, bid and awarded projects and implemented procedures to limit change orders and risk to the owner. Responsible for 32% of Company Owned Stores,
- Proactively led the construction of Phase II of The Cottages of College A $70 million – 1354 bed student housing project. Recognized by VP of Development for delivery of phase II units in a far superior condition than had previously been obtained in phase I, with delivery on time and on budget.
- Successfully led the construction of The Capstone Cottages of San Marcos. A $51 million – 899-bed student housing project. Recognized by VP of Construction for one of the highest overall production rates in company Tied for “Best Delivery” and “Best Student Move-In”.
- Spearheaded as Construction Manager construction on 7 different forward operating bases in RCC East Afghanistan, totaling over $100 million in small structural, civil, mechanical/electrical projects for the USAF Prime Beef Squadron. Dynamically led the USAF AFCEE Title II Construction QA oversight team (consisting of 3 third-country national engineers, and 3 Afghanistan engineers), on large 30(+) acre sites consisting of Afghanistan National Police Recruiting Centers $30 million, Border Patrol Headquarters $28 million, Air Force Academy Training Facilities $40 million, National Police Headquarters $30 million, and other large Military and Police projects in Afghanistan.
EXPERIENCE & ACHIEVEMENTS
Reliant Group Management San Francisco, CA 2/2018 – Present
- Represents the company and manages all Renovation, Construction and Development activities on large Student Housing property.
- Works with the Company, Asset Manager, to solicit review and retain Architectural and Engineering design firms, vendors and Directs architectural firms in design criteria and oversees the design process.
- Supervises construction contractors as the Owner’s Representative to ensure timely completion and quality control standards are met. Assists and monitors 3rd party property management/maintenance staff as owners rep to assist and facilitate property standards and service is provided.
RDM / LUPE TORTILLA RESTAURANTS, Houston, Texas 1/2015 – 2/2018
Construction Manager / Director of Design and Construction
- Represents the company and manages all Design, Construction and Development activities.
- Works with the Company Owners, to solicit review and retain Architectural and Engineering design firms, vendors and suppliers.
- Directs architectural firms in design criteria and oversees the design process.
- Establishes budgets for both new ground up buildings and rebranding of existing other brands, locations. Facilities permitting, bid solicitations and general contractor selection, contract administration. and handles all design and construction matters for the firm.
- Supervises construction as an Owner’s Representative to ensure timely completion and quality control standards are met. Works with owners and operations department to facilitate restaurant openings, supply, and maintenance of facilities. Takes projects from initial concept to completion and turn over to operations. Handles 4 to 5 new buildings per year in different geographic locations.
CAPSTONE COLLEGIATE COMMUNITIES, College Station, TX 1/2013-10/2014
Lead Construction Superintendent / Project Manager, – The Cottages of College Station / Capstone Cottages of San Marcos, Texas
- Represented the company and managed all onsite construction activities.
- Drives production, monitors and updates schedules, inspects construction for contract and quality control compliance of Student Housing (off-campus) projects. Cottages of College Station $71 million – 1354 bedrooms and Capstone Cottages of San Marcos $51 million – 899 bedrooms with $1 million Clubhouses and $750,000 resort style pools.
HDR – EOC, INC., Shindand, Afghanistan 6/2011-10/2012
Senior Construction Manager, USAF AFCEE – Civilian Contractor / Technical Adviser
- Effectively led the construction oversight and quality assurance of construction projects of Afghanistan Military, (Afghanistan Air Force Academy), National Border Patrol Headquarters and National Police Recruiting Centers;
- Performed design and specification reviews, design and material submittals, pricing data, schedules, and specs for contract compliance.
- Provided integral consultations, and inspected construction, HVAC-mechanical and electrical systems and components for compliance with contract documents, ‘US – International and US Military’ code compliance and quality (over $200 million in projects).
IAP WORLDWIDE SERVICES, Jalalabad, Afghanistan 1/2010-6/2011
Construction Manager, US Air Force 577 Prime Beef Squadron – Civilian Contractor / Technical Adviser
- Provided government oversight and construction management of high-level construction projects consisting of structural, mechanical (packaged HVAC), electrical power generation, civil infrastructure and other projects.
- Responsible for 1 NATO Base and 7 small Combat Out Posts (COP) for management of construction: prepare pricing data, schedule.
- Performed construction review, provided integral consultations, and draft Statements of Work (SOWs). Supported contractors in preparing, monitoring and adjusting construction schedules and review of pay Full cycle participation including construction, commissioning and closeout (over $50 million in projects).
- Effectively assessed existing and new construction, infrastructure, and electrical power generation plants. Worked with US Army Prime Power COR in grid layout and placement of generators on isolated small bases.
SUNLAND GROUP, Lake Charles LA 2/2008 – 11/2009
Quality Control Manager (QCM) / Assistant Contract Administrator
- Served as the airport project’s Quality Control Manager/Senior Inspector and assisted the Contract Administrator;
- Tasked and effectively led Safety as the site Safety Officer; dynamically performed daily inspection of construction, electrical, mechanical HVAC, plumbing and all components of
- Strategically steered quality control, submittal review, RFI documentation, construct-ability review and effectively lead project construction team in the construction of the $24 million New Passenger Terminal for the Lake Charles Regional Airport.
Texas Gulf Engineering Freeport, Texas 11/2007 – 1/2008
- As Owner’s Representative, effectively project-managed the completion of a $15-million design-build, rough rice storage, and processing facility; consisting of 15-grain storage bins, associated electrical systems, grain elevators, electronic scales, and other equipment.
- Identified construction deficiencies for the owner of this Design-Build project that was constructed prior to my arrival, in preparation for claims and litigation, resulting in recovery to the owner of over $400,000.
Exuma Construction and Development 3/2005 – 11/2007
General Contractor/Real Estate Developer
Spearheaded the start-up of a successful production home building and real estate development firm, including constructing subdivision and a model center to initiate results-focused marketing of pre- and post-built homes, as well as handling of all business operations, sales and marketing, scheduling, and construction management efforts.
- Dramatically increased revenue and grew business, recognized by City, Economic Development and business community for the advancement of affordable housing in this rural Texas
STV Inc Orlando, FL and Houston, TX 6/1999 – 10/2001
Office Engineer, Transportation Division (RAIL) (2001-2004) Houston, TX
Owners’ Representative (SCHOOLS) (1999-2001) Orlando, FL
LIGHT RAIL: Dynamically lead 4 field inspectors and the document control activities. Acted as Assistant Resident Engineer. ($325 million)
- Recognized for excellence in monthly client/owner QC
SCHOOLS K-12: Performed Construction Management and Owner Representative Services in the renovation of 145 school campuses.
- Monitored the design, construction of renovations including the installation of packaged HVAC systems, electrical upgrades, installation of building automation systems, testing/balancing, O&M training and the closeout of
- Played a vital role in Field Support of the Orange County School District with a $350-million Immediate Needs Renovation Project, involving the renovation of 145 school campuses and the Portable Reduction Program ($50-million) as the School District’s Owner’s Representative in Orlando, FL.
Licenses – Certifications
CERTIFIED GENERAL CONTRACTOR (CGC 007217), CURRENT
TEXAS RESIDENTIAL BUILDER LICENSE
ICC NATIONAL STANDARD GENERAL BUILDING CONTRACTOR LICENSE NEW MEXICO STATE GENERAL CONTRACTORS LICENSE – GB 98
CONSTRUCTION QUALITY MANAGEMENT (CQM) CERTIFICATE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE – DOD – SECURITY CLEARANCE